- 12 DOUX FITLIFE CHICKEN THIGHS
- 4 TABLESPOONS OLIVE OIL, PLUS A LITTLE FOR GREASING
- 2 TABLESPOONS DRIED OREGANO
- 1 TABLESPOON DRIED MINT
- 1 TABLESPOON GROUND CUMIN
- 1 TABLESPOON CORIANDER
- 1 TABLESPOON SWEET PAPRIKA
- ½ TABLESPOON GROUND CINNAMON
- ZEST AND JUICE 1 LEMON, PLUS 1 LEMON CUT INTO SEGMENTS TO SERVE
- 4 GARLIC CLOVES, CRUSHED
- 250G FLOUR
- 7G SACHET FAST-ACTION DRIED YEAST
- 1 TABLESPOON GOLDEN CASTER SUGAR
- ½ CUCUMBER
- 200G GREEK YOGHURT
- SMALL BUNCH MINT, FINELY CHOPPED
- 1 SMALL GARLIC CLOVE, CRUSHED
- JUICE ½ LEMON
- 1 BUTTER OR ROUND LETTUCE
- 4 LARGE TOMATOES, SEEDS REMOVED, CHOPPED
- 1 RED ONION, HALVED AND THINLY SLICED
- 4 LONG METAL SKEWERS
Doux Fitlife Whole Chicken
- Put the DOUX FITLIFE chicken into a large bowl and add the marinade ingredients, along with 1 tablespoon salt and black pepper. Mix well, ensuring thighs are well coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- A few hours before you want to eat, make the pitta. In a bowl, mix the flour, yeast, sugar and 1/2 tablespoon salt with your fingertips. Add 150ml lukewarm water and 2 tablespoons olive oil, and work into a dough. Place on a work surface and knead for 8-10 mins. Clean, then lightly oil your bowl, return the dough and cover loosely with cling film. Leave to rise for 1 hour or until nearly doubled in size.
- Divide the dough into four equal pieces. Roll out in circles, as thin as you can. Cover with sheets of oiled cling film and leave to rise for 15-20 mins.
- To make the tzatziki, halve the cucumber lengthways and scoop out the seeds. Finely chop, then combine with the remaining ingredients, along with a pinch of salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat the grill to its highest setting. Line a roasting tin with foil and use 4 metal skewers long enough to sit across the top with a little space underneath. Remove the chicken from the fridge, take one thigh and thread it over 2 skewers, so it has a skewer through either side. Thread another piece of chicken on top, leaving a small gap between each piece; you should fit 6 thighs on each pair of skewers. Position the skewers on top of the roasting tin and set aside while you finish the pittas.
- Heat a large frying pan (or two if you have them) over a medium-high heat and brush the breads with oil. Gently lift one into the pan. It should sizzle, and bubbles should appear on the surface after 1-2 mins. When the underside is golden, flip it and cook for another 2-3 mins. Continue until all the breads are cooked, wrapping them in foil as you go. Keep the bread warm in the bottom of the oven while you cook the chicken. Alternatively, cook on the barbecue for 5-8 mins, turning occasionally.
- Put the chicken under the hot grill and cook for 15-20 mins, basting with oil and any juices from the bottom of the tin regularly, and turning halfway through cooking. Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave to rest for 5 mins.
- Cut through each pair of skewers to make four kebabs and serve in the warm bread, with lettuce, tomato, red onion, lemon wedges and tzatziki.
1. Use low fat yoghurt for tzatziki.
2. Use whole wheat flour for pitta. Whole wheat flour adds more nutrition, not to mention a tasty nutty flavour.
3. Use extra-virgin olive oil to cook. It is high in antioxidants called polyphenols that have been linked to heart health. Non virgin oil doesn’t contain these “bonus” antioxidants.